Study in France FAQ'S


The government sets tuition costs for Masters programmes at public higher education institutions in France. A Masters degree costs €3,770 per year for international students. Private universities, on the other hand, are allowed to determine their own tuition fees, which can range from €3,000 to €10,000 per year.

Yes! In order to attract more international students, French colleges are increasingly offering degrees in English. You will not need to be fluent in French to take one of these courses.

To fully immerse yourself in the culture and make the most of your time in France, you need have at least a basic level of French. For international students, most universities offer French language classes.

Even if English-taught postgraduate courses are available, you may want to study in French.

If you choose a French-taught course, you must demonstrate proficiency in the language. The DILF/DELF/DALF tests issued by the French Ministry of Education are the most regularly utilised French proficiency tests.

France has almost 3,500 higher education institutes offering world-class postgraduate education. The ‘best’ university is always determined by your individual interests and aspirations.

As a starting point, we’ll compile a list of the top 20 universities in France based on three international rankings tables for 2023. It should be noted that these rankings are not postgraduate-specific, and that each rating system employs a unique methodology.

In France, a Master’s degree lasts two years. Each academic year is divided into two semesters and begins in September or October and concludes in May or June.

Because France uses the Bologna system, you must have a Bachelor’s degree to apply for a Masters degree. Academic transcripts for your undergraduate degree may be requested.

You may be required to take entrance tests such as the GRE or GMAT, as well as an interview (typically for more competitive schools).

You must also demonstrate proficiency in the language of instruction, and overseas students must meet visa and immigration criteria.

In France, the application process for a Masters or PhD varies based on your nationality. If you are an EU/EEA national, you can apply to your university directly. Students from the Études en France cohort can apply using the Campus France online portal. Other students must contact their university, and they will inform you of the application process.

Your nationality determines whether you require a visa. If you are an EU/EEA national, you do not need a visa. If you are a non-EU/EEA national, you must apply for the VLS-TS long stay student visa and get a residence permit upon arriving in France.

International students can apply for government financing through programmes such as the Eiffel Excellence Scholarship initiative and AUF Bursaries. If you are a British citizen, you should look into the Entente Cordiale scholarships.

You may also be eligible for regional government scholarships depending on your nationality.

French universities also help international students by providing scholarships, grants, and bursaries.

Students have the option of living in university residence halls or renting rooms and flats on the private market. Rooms in university halls, student hostels, homestays, and private rentals are all options for student housing in France. The cost of lodging is determined by the type of lodging and the location.

The French government believes that international students should have access to roughly €615 per month for maintenance and living expenses. However, this varies greatly based on the city you live in and your lifestyle.

Students are allowed to work while studying. However, depending on your nationality, there may be some limits.EU/EEA nationals are not limited in the number of hours they can work. Students from outside the EU/EEA are permitted to work up to 964 hours per year, or 60% of a full-time job. Algerian nationals can only work up to 50% of the authorised full-time hours.

France is eager to attract international talent and provides generous post-study employment options for international students.

EU and EEA nationals enjoy the same rights as French graduates and are free to work.

Other overseas students must apply for an Autorisation Provisoire de Séjour (APS – temporary residency permit) in order to stay and work (if they have not previously obtained assured employment before the completion of their study). The APS visa is valid for 12 months and cannot be renewed. Work is limited to around 20 hours per week until a fixed or indefinite employment contract is signed.