Cost of Living in UK- Expenses, Accommodation, Travel Cost
The United Kingdom is one of the most sought-after destinations for international students in the world. The average annual cost of living in the United Kingdom is roughly 12,000 euros. Tuition prices at UK universities range from 10,000 to 30,000 euros, depending on the course and institute. There are numerous aspects that determine the cost of living in the UK, ranging from property selection to transit frequency, but anticipating possible expenditures can be quite useful in the long run. More information regarding the expense of living in the UK as an international student is provided below.
International Students’ Tuition Fees in the United Kingdom
Tuition costs account for the majority of an international student’s living expenses in the United Kingdom. Tuition prices for undergraduate studies in the UK are lower than those for advanced or professional degrees such as medical, MBA, engineering, and so on.
|Type of program||Average fee in GBP||Average fee in INR|
|Undergraduate bachelor program||GBP 11,400 – GBP 38,000||INR 11,43,526 to INR 38,11,753|
|Postgraduate or master’s program||GBP 9,000 to GBP 15,000||INR 9,02,783 to INR 15,04,639|
|MBA programs||GBP 30,000 to GBP 50,000||INR 30,09,279 to INR 50,15,465|
|Doctoral degrees||GBP 18,000 to GBP 35,000||INR 18,05,567 to INR 35,10,825|
The tuition fees depend highly on the course demand, reputation, location, etc. The type of programs and the average fees in GBP is provided in a table below.
International Student Accommodation in the United Kingdom
Most institutions offer on-campus housing, but for some, students may need to hunt for off-campus housing, which is plentiful. There are numerous services and portals, such as UniAcco, that can assist students conveniently find accommodation in the UK. The average cost of living in the United Kingdom is listed below.
|Residence Type||Monthly cost in London (in GBP)||Monthly cost in Other cities (in GBP)|
|University residence||GBP 600 (~INR 63,524)||GBP 440 (~ INR 46,584)|
|Private housing||GBP 710 (~ INR 75,170)||GBP 420 (~INR 44,467)|
|Utility bills||GBP 40 (~ INR 4,234)||GBP 40 (~ INR 4,234)|
The cost of housing is determined by the university and the kind of residence. There are many different types of housing available, including single, double, apartment-styled, suite-styled, segregated by gender or not, shared, villa-style, and so on.
International Students in the UK Can Stay On Campus
International students are provided with on-campus housing in the form of residential structures or halls. There are many different types of accommodations on campus for various universities, and the specifics are listed here.
Halls of residence: These residence halls are maintained and controlled by universities in the United Kingdom, and first-year candidates are given priority when reserving them. In these residential halls, first-year residents are assigned a private room with a kitchen and lounge shared by 4 to 8 people.
Private halls of residence: Similar to university halls of residence in terms of comprehensive bills and shared spaces, private halls of residence are often more expensive. More facilities, in addition to basic conveniences, are included due to some additional expenses.
Private renting: After completing the first year, overseas students have the option of exploring private renting. Renting privately is completely independent, and students are responsible for all bills and the property’s cleanliness.
On-Campus Living Costs in the UK
The cost of living in residence halls in the United Kingdom is determined by the university and its campus. The following are some of the most popular universities in the United Kingdom, along with their lodging fees.
Off Campus Accommodation For International Students In The UK
The cost of living in UK off campus varies greatly, based on the housing chosen and the meal plans, but the general off campus housing costs can be summarized as given in the table below.
|Type of housing||Average cost in GBP||Average cost in INR|
|1 bedroom apartment within the city||895||94,757|
|1 bedroom apartment outside the city||680||71,994|
|3 bedroom apartment in the city||1,600||1,69,398|
|3 bedroom apartment outside the city||1,200||1,27,048|
The Advantages of Living Off-Campus in the United Kingdom
As an international student, you can also apply for off-campus housing. There are various advantages to living in off-campus housing, which are listed below.
- Students have more freedom and can manage things their own way in off-campus housing places.
- They can easily maintain a vibrant college life by participating in events both on and off campus.
- Utilities are frequently included in the rent. The lease includes the cost of water, power, gas, cable, and security. Keeping financial records is critical while selecting the correct type of residence.
- Off-campus housing often has many more amenities and facilities than on-campus accommodation. Students can design their rooms whatever they like, making them more comfortable to live in.
- Off-campus housing provides students with a more private setting. They are not required to share bathrooms, kitchenettes, or spend time in public areas. They are free to live their lives and safeguard their private lives without interference from others.
- The advantages of living off campus. There are some additional benefits that make off-campus housing constructions appealing.
- Swimming pools, coffee shops, outdoor grills, and other amenities are being added to numerous off-campus constructions in addition to those that already exist.
Transport Cost for International Students in the UK
Trains, trams, buses, taxis and bikes are the main modes of transportation available to international students in the UK. The price ranges for international students’ transport are shown in a table manner below.
|Mode of transport||Average cost in GBP||Average cost in INR|
|Taxi (1 kilometer)||1.24||131|
|One-way Ticket (Public Transport)||2.50||264|
|Monthly bus pass||65||6,881|
International students can choose their preferred form of transit in a variety of ways, though most will utilize a bus pass to travel frequently. Students can purchase transport cards and tram pass tickets. Buses, trams and coaches are the most common modes of transportation in the city, and they serve a wide range of destinations, making it easy for students to get around.
Miscellaneous Expenses for International Students in the UK
Aside from housing, tuition fees, clothing, meals, study materials, and transportation, miscellaneous and other expenses must be considered as part of the cost of living in the UK. Furthermore, because of lifestyle and housing expenditures, students who live off-campus will have different expenses than students who live on-campus. The types of expenses and their costs are listed below.
|Utilities (monthly)||Average cost in GBP||Average cost in INR|
|Electricity, heating, water, gas||185||19,586|
|Prepaid mobile tariff for local calls per minute||0.12||12.70|
Some of the best universities in the UK for international students, such as the University of Cambridge, the University of Oxford, and King’s College, are located here. However, with proper preparation and budgeting, students can reduce the expense of studying and living in the city. Aside from that, there are financial help alternatives available to students such as scholarships, financial aid, loans, and federal work study programmes.
Tips for Students Wanting to Study in the UK
Because of its cultural richness, infrastructure, innovative teaching methods, and research, the United Kingdom is a popular destination for international students. Students in the United Kingdom can arrange their funding sources using the following options:
- Part-Time Jobs: Students in the United Kingdom are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during semesters and full-time during vacations. While working part-time, students might make roughly 11 GBP (1,100 INR) each hour. Part-time jobs in the UK are a common option for students to earn extra money.
- Scholarships: Scholarships to study in the United Kingdom are one of the most dependable ways to complete your higher education. Scholarships are available to students from their home countries, universities, the UK government, and external benefactors. Fortunately, some of the most popular scholarships in the UK cover the entirety of tuition and other expenses.
- Education Loans: There are numerous loan alternatives available to students studying in the United Kingdom. Some students are provided interest-free loans to complete their studies in the UK by various banks, government agencies, and organisations.
- The hybrid educational paradigm allows students to complete their first year of study while remaining in India. Students can finish the rest of the programme in the UK after their second year of study. This lowers the cost of living in the UK.
- Supplementary Financing sources: There are numerous supplementary funding sources available in the United Kingdom for students taking courses at various academic levels and fields. Travel grants, research assistantships, health service financing, and support from outside organisations are all options.63,6,4,
Consult our experts
To get in touch with our expert team, simply leave your details below and we’ll call you for a FREE consultation.