Top Five Things to Budget for Before Studying in the UK
When studying, you’ll probably need high-quality books, but they can be pricey. To cut costs, you can:
Course study Material
- Buy books directly from the university department
- Buy books second-hand from book shops or eBay
- Borrow books from the library
Travel is another significant expense, but you can save significantly on rail and bus trips with various types of cards that offer significant discounts. Keep in mind that planning ahead always saves money!
- An 18+ Student Oyster Card provides 30% off the price of adult-rate travel cards and bus & tram pass season tickets
- A young person’s coach card provides a 1/3 discount on coach fares
- A 16-25 rail card gives you a 1/3 discount on off-peak rail travel
Bills such as gas, electricity and water are often included in your accommodation costs if living in halls of residence. If living privately though, remember to do the following:
- Compare energy suppliers online and see if you can save by moving to a different tariff
- Ensure you have future costs covered in advance of the bill date
- Try to use less energy by wrapping up inside
Living on baked beans is not the only option when on a food budget! Even if takeaway is inexpensive, you can save money on food by cooking your own meals instead of only eating them.
Make a shopping list with all the ingredients you need and a meal plan. Then you can purchase in bulk, freeze meals for a later time, and have extra ingredients for a later time. Numerous restaurants also provide student discounts, so you can treat yourself.
Phone Bills & Internet
Mobile and home phones don’t have to be expensive, and choosing the right package can save you lots.
- Overseas calls are expensive, especially if you are using mobile phone from home country. Put a SIM from a UK network into it.
- Compare deals online to get the best packages
- Cut the cost of international calling by using services of landline provider offering cheaper call packages
- Choose wisely UK mobile phone network offering international call plans at reduced rates or consider a SIM card specialist in international calls